Happy Fall friends! Are you looking for a cute gift or just something fun to add to your fall decor? Then this easy chalkboard sign is for you! Just 10 simple steps are all it takes to make this festive little sign!
Have you created a chalkboard sign? If you have, let me know. It’s always fun to see and hear about other peoples’ creativity! Don’t you think?
What’s more, this sign could easily be adapted for another holiday or small quote of your choice.
Walmart sells these chalkboards for only a $1.97. Sometimes you can even pick them up at Dollar Tree and I’ve seen them at craft stores too.
In fact, if you prefer, you could use a chalk marker in place of the chalk paint. Since I wanted mine to be permanent, I opted to paint it with white chalk paint. Plus I like how the chalk paint looks like regular chalk when it’s dry!
The chalkboard sign could be displayed on your front door, if it is in a sheltered area, to welcome your guests. However, be careful not to put it where it could get wet as the board may warp and swell.
Are you ready to get creative? Great, then let’s get busy!
- Small ready made chalkboard of your choice
- White chalk paint OR chalk marker
- Transfer paper (I got mine at Michaels)
- A printed copy of your design (this could be created in Word or other editing software – feel free to copy mine below)
- Different size paintbrushes
Once you are done assembling your supplies you are ready to get started on this project!
Just 10 Simple Steps
- After you print your graphic design trim it a bit smaller than the chalkboard
- Cut a piece of the transfer paper to fit underneath your graphic design (see the photo above showing how it is a tiny bit larger than the graphics, allowing the tape to hold both pieces to the chalkboard sign)
- Lay the transfer paper on the chalkboard (make sure the correct side is up – the transfer paper is marked accordingly)
- Next, lay the printed design on top of the transfer paper
- Center your design then tape both pieces in place (just enough to secure it)
- With your pencil, begin tracing around your design (be sure to trace the entire shape of each design element)
- When you are done tracing your design, carefully remove it and the transfer paper (keep the transfer paper to use again)
- Begin painting the design you traced on the chalkboard sign making sure to fill in each of the design elements
- Check to make sure everything in your design has been painted (touching up with a smaller brush if needed)
- Finally, hang up your gorgeous new fall sign and stand back and admire it!!!
Seriously, it’s just that easy!
I love how this chalkboard sign makes a lovely little statement hanging on the china cabinet in our dining room.
Just think of all the possibilities you could do with chalkboard signs like these. Embellishments could easily be added to match your decor, the jute hanger could be switched out for a ribbon, etc.!
You are only limited by your imagination! That’s what is so fun about creating.
So what’s next on the blog?
I will show how to make a unique arrangement for your mantel so you can create a gorgeous farmhouse look!
I hope you are enjoying these projects as much as I am enjoying creating them for you!
Any questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am happy to help. Remember comments are like sunshine to me so please feel free to drop me a note below.
See you next time, friend!